Even though many see summer as the season in which to hit the open road for new experiences and a chance to visit exciting travel destinations, the autumnal landscape of September might be the right time to visit some of the following charming locations listed on this index of suggested places to travel to in September 2021 from Travel + Leisure. Making fall travel an ideal scenario.
September is the ideal fall month when it comes to travel because the world just seems to slow down and settle after the rush and busy summer season begins to fade away. With the ninth month of the year, temperatures become crisper, leaves begin to stand out in a vibrant array of colors.
As always, due to local regulations, travel restrictions, and COVID-19 surges, it is highly- suggested that travelers properly research all local guidelines and CDC recommendations before booking any trip or getting too far along in the travel process in order to keep you and those you care about as safe and responsible as possible in these unprecedented times.
Travel + Leisure’s full list suggests that you make your way up to Vermont, Jackson Hole, and Stowe if you want to breathe in the fresh mountain air; venture out to Niagara Falls if you want to take in some breath-taking views while you pick apples or eat peach pie; take a ride out to San Diego or Carmel if you want to take a stroll along the beachfront or shoreline; and book a stay in Bristol, Virginia for their annual Country Music festival or even a weekend in Las Vegas to survey their new hotels, shows, and restaurants that have recently opened. No matter the September experience you’re expecting, there’s always a location where it can happen, as seen in the listings below.
Stop by the California coast if you’re not looking to escape the sun just yet, as Carmel, California is the ideal place for you to soak up some Vitamin D with the warm, cloudless days and cool evenings that are held in town and along Carmel Beach. The fall season is the perfect time to escape to a shoreside town to survey its September offerings, and there’s no better place to stay or visit than the following:
- Carmel Valley Ranch: Encompassing an impressive 500 acres, this ranch offers its guests and residents all-suite accommodations to make your days not taking advantage of their offerings of hiking trails, rounds of golf, apiary visits, and equine experiences all the more relaxing.
- The Quail Lodge: If you’re looking to book a stay somewhere more spacious, then the Quail Lodge is your best bet with its spacious guest rooms and suites available to be booked. While you’re here, be sure to check out the many sports activities such as the lodge’s nine-hole putting course, pickleball, pool, and its impressive 18-hole championship golf course.
This is the prime destination for fall travel and for anyone looking to engage in hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, or practically any other outdoor activity, because Jackson Hole is set within (and named after) the valley between the Grand Tetons and the Gros Ventre Mountain Range. While this picturesque locale is a favorite among skiers and snowboarders in the winter months, there’s an array of Autumn activities and other events and seasonal openings to take advantage of; some highlights include:
- Snake River Sporting Club: a 1,000-acre lodge with miles of trails and an infinity pool
- The Jackson Hole Fall Arts Festival: an annual collection of gallery walks, artist panels and more; held September 8-19.
- The Caldera House: a boutique hotel found in Teton Village that offers its guests residential suites and luxurious amenities that can be enjoyed when seeking refuge from the nearby shops.
For more travel-related news and information, click here.