Looking for the perfect hearty meal? Martha Stewart has given the perfect recipe for a filling Beef Bourguignon. The total preparation and cooking time takes about 3 hours and 15 minutes. But the preparation itself only takes 40 minutes. This meal will serve about 8 people, which is perfect for larger families or dinner parties.
- 3 pounds of boneless beef rump roast. They need to be cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces of button mushrooms. They need to be trimmed and quartered if they are too large
- 4 carrots, cut and peeled into 1-inch pieces
- 10 ounces of pearl onions. They need to be peeled
- 5 strips of bacon. It needs to be cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of butter, cut up
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove. It needs to be smashed and peeled
- 1 bay leaf
- Ground pepper
- Coarse salt
- 3 cups of dry red cooking wine
- A large dutch oven
- Or a heavy pot with a lid
- Two plates
The first step to this delicious beef bourguignon is to preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Take the large dutch oven or pot and place the 2 tablespoons of olive oil in. Turn the burner on to medium-high heat. Once the oil is slightly heated, add the mushrooms to the pot. They need to be browned, which will take about 10 minutes. Once the mushrooms are done, take them out of the pot and place them onto the plate.
The next step is to season the beef. Use the salt and pepper to generously season the meat. Once you are done, add 1 tablespoon of oil to the pot that you cooked mushrooms in. Begin to brown the beef, doing it in batches. It will take about 2 to 3 minutes each batch. If the oil starts to run out add up to 1 tablespoon of oil per batch. Make sure to watch the pot to know when to add the oil.
Once the beef is done cooking transfer it to the other plate. Save 1 tablespoon of fat in the pot and pour the rest of it out. This is when the bacon needs to be cooked. Add the bacon to the pot and cook for about 5 minutes or until the bacon is browned.
The tomato paste needs to be added next. Stir the bacon and tomato paste for about 30 seconds and then add the flour. Also stirring for 30 seconds to cook. Take the plate of beef and add it back to the pot. Add the wine, bay leaf, garlic, and broth. Bring the pot to a boil. Place the top on top of the pot and place the pot into the oven. This should be cooked for 1 ½ hours. Once the timer goes off, add the carrots and onions.
Continue to cook for another hour to an hour and a half (until the meat is tender). 15 minutes before the time is done, add the mushrooms to the pot. Once it is done cooking, remove the pot from the oven and stir the butter into the stew. Top it with parsley, serve and enjoy a delicious bowl of beef bourguignon.
For more delicious recipes, click here.