Excellently-roasted chicken that’s properly seasoned and cooked with herbs is the perfect hearty dinnertime meal for this time of year, and this particularly delicious recipe from Food 52 hits the savory and sweet spot needed for the fall or winter season.
One of the impressive choices this recipe makes is using the traditionally sweet lemon curd for a savory pairing, thus adding a tart-full richness to herb-encrusted sheet pan chicken thighs. What’s left is a medley of tender chicken, seasoned vegetables, and garlic-spread sourdough toast that will be sure to surprise and delight anyone eating alongside you at Sunday night dinner.
Ingredients For Roasted Chicken Thighs:
- 6 bone-in chicken thighs with the skin still on
- 3 garlic heads with the top third sliced off
- 7 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 3 tablespoons of lemon curd
- 2 teaspoons of urfa biber or ¾ teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 2 lemons, each halved horizontally
- 1 loaf of sourdough, toasted
- Kosher salt, for taste
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Freshly ground black pepper, for sprinkling
- Flaky salt, for sprinkling
Directions for Roasted Chicken Thighs:
- You’ll begin this delicious recipe by patting your bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs with a dry paper towel, so as to soak up any excess juices from the packaging. Then you’ll set the chicken thighs on a small tray or plate and season them all over with salt. Then set them aside as you prep the other ingredients.
- At this point, open your oven and position one rack in the center and one in the top slot. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Place your garlic heads (with each head’s top third sliced off) on a rimmed sheet pan alongside your peeled and cut carrots. Drizzle this garlic and carrot-filled sheet pan generously with olive oil, season it with salt and pepper, and toss it all together to coat fully. Lastly, turn the garlic so that the cut-side is facing downward.
- Next, finely chop enough sprigs of rosemary to yield 1 teaspoon. Transfer your chicken thighs (with the skin-side facing upward) to the sheet pan with garlic and carrots. At this point, you’ll carefully peel back the skin on the chicken thighs and evenly spread the lemon curd on the top of each thigh. Next, evenly sprinkle your chicken with the chopped rosemary and follow it by sprinkling the urfa biber or red pepper flakes. Smooth the skin back over the lemon curd and season your thighs with salt and pepper. Lightly-drizzle the thighs with oil, place the remaining rosemary sprigs onto the sheet pan, and add your lemon halves with the cut-side facing downward.
- Roast this filled sheet pan on the center rack for 25 minutes. Throughout the cooking process, rotate your thighsand shuffle the ones near the edges of the sheet tray toward the middle and vice versa. Flip over your lemon and garlic heads after the initial 25 minutes are through, and then continue roasting for 5-7 more minutes. You should be sure to keep a watchful eye on the chicken thighs and roast them until the skin is golden. If you want extra crispy skin, you can place the sheet pan under the broiler for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Lastly, to finish things off, you’ll bring your sheet pan to the table, set it atop a trivet, divide the pieces among three plates, and sprinkle it all with flaky salt. Squeeze the roasted garlic from its papery sheaths and spread it onto the sourdough toast. Squeeze the lemons all over, and enjoy!
For more delicious recipes, click here.