When you’re outside, enjoying the weather, freedom, and general atmosphere that summertime has to offer, you don’t want to eat anything deemed “too heavy” that’s sure to weigh you down. That’s why this light, flavorful recipe for salmon burgers dressed with roasted red pepper mayonnaise from the chefs over at the Epicurious food blog is the perfect recipe to keep in your back pocket. It’s sure to come in handy for those times you are craving seafood, an irresistible condiment, a hamburger that doesn’t weigh you down, or all of the above!
Ingredients for Salmon Burgers:
- 18 ounces of canned salmon, drained, picked through, flaked
- ¼ cup of coarsely chopped, and drained roasted bell peppers (packed)
- ⅓ cup of drained roasted red bell peppers cut into ¼’ strips
- 2 teaspoons of drained capers
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, divided
- ½ cup of plain breadcrumbs
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
- You’ll want to begin this delicious recipe by blending together your mayonnaise, bell peppers, chapters, lemon juice, and salt in a standard blender. If needed, be sure to scrape down the interior sides of the blender, until everything is blended smoothly. Once finished, transfer the blender contents into a small bowl. Set your red pepper mayonnaise aside.
- Next, you’ll begin the process of cooking and assembling the burgers. At this point, mix the breadcrumbs, pepper, and only about ½ a cup of red pepper mayonnaise into a large bowl. Next, take your flaked salmon and pick through it so that it’s completely drained. You’ll then gently fold your flaked salmon into the breadcrumbs and mayo. Divide this mixture evenly so that you have 4 burger patties. Using your hands, mold the salmon burger patties so that each is about 1/2″ thick and 4″ wide.
- At his point, heat about 1 tablespoon of your divided vegetable oil into a large nonstick skillet or a seasoned cast iron skillet. Turn on your oven burner, and heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until it is shimmering.
- While working in batches, cook the underside of the hamburger buns with the cut side facing down. Toast the hamburger buns until they are of a golden brown coloration, which in total should only take approximately two minutes. Afterward, divide the bund among four plates.
- Next, you’ll heat the remaining tablespoon of vegetable oil in the same skillet you used in the previous step. Place the salmon patties into the skillet one at a time and cook each patty until it is golden brown and heated through. This will take about 2-3 minutes per side of the salmon patties.
- Afterward, transfer the patties to the bottom buns and spread at least 2 teaspoons of red pepper mayonnaiseover the hamburgers. Arrange your bell pepper strips over the salmon patties and top them off with the other bun side to close.
- Serve alongside roasted sweet potato fries, a light green salad, and (of course) extra red pepper mayonnaise. Enjoy!
Notes for Salmon Burgers:
This delicious recipe relies on the blended red pepper mayonnaise, so ensure that you are taking great care to prepare it meticulously and using the freshest of ingredients. This isn’t the best recipe to use pre-frozen bell peppers for. Plus, if you plan ahead, the red pepper mayo can be made up to 5 days ahead of time. If you’re preparing it early, be sure that you store the mayo in a resealable container and chill it. Additionally, the salmon patties may be formed one day ahead of cooking, if they are covered and chilled beforehand.
For more delicious recipes, click here.