Residents of the Gulf Coast know that the area is rich in music, food, and beaches, but along the United States’ most southern coast lies a vast resource of learning opportunities in the state of Mississippi. Collected in a resource article by GulfCoastWeekend, is a pleasant handful of museums and educational centers to utilize for informative, interactive, and low-cost fun. There are several Gulf Coast museums that are definitely worth the day trip to get out of the house, have some family fun, and learn something
Lynn Meadows Discovery Center, GulfPort, MS
The Lynn Meadows Discovery Center, Mississippi’s first children’s museum, is a hands-on discovery center for children, families, and teachers. The plethora of exhibits and arts programs are designed to teach and entertain. This Gulf Coast museum was chosen by the Institute of Museum and Library Services as a 2016 National Medal winner, the nation’s highest honor given to museums and libraries servicing their communities.
- Features 15,000 square feet of hands-on exhibits for kids, an oak-covered acres for outside play, field trips, cooking classes, and summer camps.
- Admission starts at $10 for kids and adults; ages 1 and under get in free; military and seniors 65+ get in for $8. Weekdays after 3 p.m., admission is $3. Everyone gets in for $6 on Sundays.
Walter Anderson Museum of Art, Ocean Springs, MS
The Walter Anderson Museum of Art inspires discovery, imagination, and community-building on the Gulf Coast and beyond through its programs, exhibitions, and outreach; and embodies Walter Anderson’s vision for societies in harmony with their environments. This Gulf Coast museum is one to visit.
- Features the artwork of Ocean Springs’ famed artist Walter Anderson and his brothers – Peter Anderson, master potter and founder of Shearwater Pottery, and James McConnell Anderson noted painted and ceramist.
- Admission is $10 for adults, $5 for children, and $8 for AAA members, military, seniors 65 and older, and students with a valid ID.
Infinity Science Center, Pearlington, MS
INFINITY Science Center is a non-profit science museum dedicated to providing guests with quality, fun, and fascinating learning experiences, offering a blend of space, earth science, engineering, and technology content.
- Features 72-thousand square foot facility featuring STEM presentations and demonstrations, trams & bus tours, hikes and walks, simulator rides, interactive exhibits, the official visitor center for NASA’s Stennis Space Center, and more.
- Admission starts at $18 for adults, $15 for military and seniors 55+, $11 for children ages 4-13, and free for kids 3 and under.
Ocean Adventures, Gulf Port, MS
The Ocean Adventure Marine Park offers over a dozen adventures to partake in ranging from Snorkeling with stingrays to dolphin meet and greets. Additionally, for only $25 you can get a kiss from a sea lion at this Gulf Coast museum and learning center.
- Features a bird aviary, tropical bird shows, dolphin/sea lion shows, stingray feedings, guided tours with touch pools, and much more.
- General admission is $14 for adults, $13 for seniors and active military, and $12 for ages 3-12.
Model Railroad Museum, Gulfport, MS
This Gulf Coast museum allows visitors to explore multiple scale model train layouts and operate interactive exhibits.
- Home of the largest LEGO railroad display in the state.
- Free admission but donations are expected.
For more travel related news and information, click here.