A reliable crowd-pleaser, a skillet of chicken stir fry is sure to quickly become your easy go-to dinner, and along with this easy-to-follow, yet meticulously planned recipe from Louisiana’s own Cast Iron Chef, you’re sure to wow your tastebuds and dinner guests.
Simply stated, ordering stir fry for take-out is a crave-worthy indulgence, yet it’s completely avoidable with the following chicken veggie stir fry recipe that allows you to expertly recreate the magic of a Chinese takeout right in your very own kitchen.
This recipe, courtesy of the Cast Iron Chef, Emily Johnson, yields 4 delicious servings of chicken stir fry that reheat particularly well, if packaged evenly and correctly. The intricate and easy-to-follow recipe asks you to divide your total ingredients into two batches for this particular sauté. You’ll cook your first batch as instructed, dividing them into the first two of four total meal-prep containers, and then start again with the final batch.
2 Tbsp of Grape Seed Oil
1.5 lbs Chicken Breast
Curry-flavor Seasoning, to taste
1 Red onion, sliced ¼”, divided
1 Red bell pepper, sliced ¼”, divided
1 Yellow squash, ¼” half-moons, divided
1 Zucchini, ¼” half-moons, divided
1 lbs of Mushrooms, sliced, divided
2 Tbsp Sesame oil
All-purpose seasoning salt, to taste
2 Tbsp of Kikkoman Stir-Fry Sauce
- Begin by heating your grape seed oil over medium-high heat in a large, non-stick skillet or wok. Season your chicken pieces “aggressively,” and divide them in half once completed. Sauteé your chicken until it’s just cooked through. And then remove from the pan and place it aside.
- Slice your onion and bell pepper in the style, size, and shape as sauteéd fajita-pepper. Then, mix together your sliced onions and peppers and divide the combined veg in half, placing them aside. Then, slice your yellow squash and zucchini into half-moon shapes. Mix them together and divide them in half.
- Your sauteéing will begin with you placing your first divided batch of onion and bell pepper into the pan, sauteéing them until they just begin the browning process. Afterwards, take out the combined and slightly-browned onions and peppers, and then repeat the process with your squash and zucchini, combining them with the onion and peppers once slightly browned.
- Afterwards, mix together your sliced mushrooms and green onions, divide them in half, and add them to your vegetables, sauteéing it all until browning begins to form. If at this point your vegetables start to look too dry, it’s suggested that you sprinkle some sesame oil atop it all. Season your pan or wok to taste, and then add your cooked chicken back into the skillet along with your pre-measured stir fry sauce.
- Continue sauteéing it all, and once every ingredient is completely combined, you’ll divide this first batch into two separate meal prep containers. After which, you can begin the second batch repeating the steps above.
While the Cast Iron Chef offers conveniently curated seasoning packs, the substitutions can be made: “Swine-N-Dine”can be substituted here for a curry or Chinese Five Spice blend, and “French Fry ‘Til I Die” can be substituted here for Tony Chachere’s or salt.
Remember, the key to a successful stir fry is to prep all of your ingredients before you start cooking. Once you start adding ingredients to your hot skillet or wok, the recipe moves very quickly and you won’t have time to chop ingredients or make the stir fry sauce. Also, consider serving it over fluffy rice, stovetop brown rice, Instant Pot white rice or Instant Pot brown rice. The rice will soak up any extra sauce, making a truly delicious meal!
For more delicious recipes, click here.