Are you looking for an easy yet delicious way to spice up your usual chicken dinners? Then you have to try this Chili Crisp & Honey Roasted Chicken recipe from Food 52. Not only is it simple to make, but the combination of sweet and spicy flavors will leave your taste buds tingling. Follow along with this step-by-step guide and in no time at all, you’ll be enjoying this amazing dish!
- 1 whole 4 to 5-pound chicken
- 14 scallions, with the ends trimmed
- 6 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of chili crisp
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- 1 slice of fresh ginger
- A handful of scallions, chopped
- A handful of Cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 1 ½ teaspoons of fresh chopped rosemary (from a single sprig)
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups of water
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon of honey
- 4 teaspoons of rice vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons of kosher salt, plus more for sprinkling
- In order to start this delicious recipe for an incredible plate of Chili Crisp and Honey Roasted Chicken, you’ll want to first brine your whole 4-5 pound chicken by very generously sprinkling kosher salt on the entire chicken. Sprinkle about one teaspoon of kosher salt per pound of chicken from front to back and inside the cavity of the chicken. After sprinkling the chicken with salt, allow it to rest for about 30 minutes at room temperature.
- As the chicken is resting, place ten of your scallions (the ones with their ends trimmed off), the 2 tablespoons of salt, sugar, ground ginger, rice vinegar, and water into a blender. Blend these ingredients until they are of a smooth consistency and texture and then once the chicken is ready, you’ll place it into a gallon-sized zip-top bag and pour your blended scallion brine into the bag. Seal it up, and refrigerate it for 24 hours, but at the twelve-hour mark flip your chicken over so that it brines evenly.
- On the following day, you’ll preheat your oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Remove the brined chicken from the plastic bag and be gentle as you wipe off any excess brine. Then, you’ll stuff the chicken by tucking your garlic, fresh ginger, and the remaining 4 scallions into the cavity.
- Place your chicken onto your prepared baking sheet with the breast side of the chicken facing upward. Next, you’ll use kitchen twine to tie the chicken’s legs together and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter and brush an even layer all over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken at 425°F for 30 minutes before reducing the heat to 400°F. At this point, you’ll roast the chicken for another 35-40 minutes, until the chicken’s juices run clear and its internal temperature registers at 165°F.
- While your chicken is roasting, you will want to prepare the sauce by melting 4 tablespoons of butter in a small pot over medium heat. Add in your vinegar, soy sauce, honey, chili crisp, and rosemary. Stir until all of the ingredients are incorporated and smooth, and then bring them to a simmer before pouring them into a container and setting them aside.
- Your final step is to carve and serve the chicken, so when the chicken is done you’ll remove it from the oven and cover it with aluminum foil, allowing it to rest for 15 to 20 minutes. Once it’s cooled down, you’ll uncover it and carve it into breasts, thighs, drumsticks, and wings. Place the pieces onto a platter and pour the sauce over the chicken before garnishing the pieces with scallions and cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
For more delicious recipes, click here.