Labor Day weekend is one of the most traveled weekends of the year. Sometimes it is difficult to find a delicious recipe that also travels well, especially several hours away, and you don’t want to show up empty handed using the travel time as an excuse (we see your side-eye, Aunt Patty). This Labor Day Banana Cake is anything but laborious, but travels like a dream and satisfies even the most picky eaters. Soft, moist, perfectly sweet, this recipe is for you.
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant banana pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup mashed bananas
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 dash vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, water, oil and mashed banana. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until cake tests done. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- To make glaze: In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, milk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth and of a drizzling consistency. When cake is cooled, drizzle icing over cake with a zigzag motion. Sprinkle chopped nuts over wet icing if desired.
Click Here for more on-the-go recipes for your long weekend.